What's Happening in January?
Theme - Winter, Beach and Ocean
Personal and Social Responsibility
- continue to work on following classroom routines and behaviour expectations and exploring more of Leader in Me with a focus on Habit #4 Think Win - Win. We will keep focusing and moving through our day with being successful with our mission statement.
Our Classroom Mission Statement:
We promise to fill the buckets of children and teachers and be kind to our school everyday.
- We finished learning our letters through Jolly Phonics (Oct: Ss, Pp, Cc, Bb, Hh, Mm; Nov: Dd, Aa, Tt, Rr, Ii, Nn, Kk, Ee, Gg, Oo; Dec: Jj, Ll Jan: Ff, Uu, Ww, Xx, Vv, Zz, Qq). We are practicing our rhyming words. We have learned about syllables in words and stretching out words into sounds. We listen attentively to stories and participate in class discussions.
- continue to work with numbers with dot collections, patterns, sorting, shapes, and using Math Journals for problem solving and exploring numbers. We began to use Chunkits to help visualize numbers and break apart numbers. Ex 4 can be split into 3 and 1, 2 and 2, 1 and 3
Physical Skills and Well Being in the classroom
- strengthening pincer hand grasp, scissor use with sensory bins and tools, paper work, Handwriting without Tears printing/drawing program. Identifying healthy choices for first snack.
- dramatic play within our Beach/Ocean theme. Letter and beach/ocean themed crafts. Daily songs with dances and movement breaks.
Environment and Community Awareness
- participating in a variety of centers to explore properties of materials (such as sand, water, playdough, beans, rice, etc.) and using a them safely and properly. We even attempted to build igloos out of blocks.
Citizenship and Identity
- We enjoyed Star of the Week presentations from Eric, Noah, Josy, Alexis and Bryer.